View Single Post
Old November 2, 2012, 02:56 AM
Ex Bangladesh National Bowling Coach
Dhaka Gladiators Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by al Furqaan
In general, yes, you are correct. But I feel that in general our selectors have done an honest job for the most part. Their hindsights, whenever they ocurred, are more a problem of our limitations. Ashraful has over 200 caps because we really never had anyone better. Even for this WI series, unless the selectors make gutsy calls and draft Soumya, Anamul, and Mominul we are guaranteed to have at least one or two batsman who don't provide any advantage over having an Ashraful.

Secondly, I think some of the major sides also engage in a bit of this "optimistic selection" albeit not as regularly as we do. I remember during the 2010 England tour, when Eoin Morgan made his debut, the commies on TMS where saying that Morgan's selection was particularly under the microscope since he hadn't made "a mountain of first class runs" and was selected on his T20/ODI reputation of being a "game-maker".

West Indies have done that with Narine. Possibly with Bishoo as well. I think Ajantha Mendis got his start with Sri Lanka in similar unconventional fashion.
I am not not commenting on WHO they select. I am commenting on HOW the selection is made and judged, if this is true.