View Single Post
Old November 2, 2012, 08:11 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mike Procter

naeem for sure in the squad but i think he should get a middle order spot if he is in the XI, despite naeem being a batsman that likes to stay at the crease for long lengths facing the new ball and wearing it down and taking the shine off it is much different to beginning your innings with the ball already quite a few overs old and naeem doesn't open. if he's being looked at as an opener he really needs to bat as opener or #3 in domestics. he's been batting at #4. plus nasir has proven himself much more at the international level in tests and ODIs than naeem has.

also i'm interested to understand why so many pick nasir for the #7 role. he doesn't bowl much, and he is one player that has a cool head on his shoulders. for me the main battle for batting positions in the XI is between nasir and naeem, i think only one can get a spot and they'll be at #4 or #5 depending on where you want shakib to bat. BD isn't SA, they don't have the luxury of stacking the batting down to #7 (with duminy) and still having a world class bowling attack. BD needs the batting strength but also needs the bowling strength which is why i believe #7 needs to go to some sort of an allrounder even if it's a keeper batsman. with that people will say put mushy there, that's great and all for batting depth but he's been one of the best test batsmen for BD over the last few years so it only makes sense to put him in the top 6, best spot for him is at #6 where he has a bit more time to make an innings but can also finish and bat with the tail (which he's also been good at).

1 tamim
2 anamul
3 mominul
4 nasir/shakib
5 nasir/shakib
6 mushy
7 dhiman/sohag/babu
8 sunny
9 enamul
10 rubel
11 nazmul

junaid is not an option as opener imo, he failed there, where he was best at was #3 so for those who want him in the team i think you need to place him there rather than opener.

shahadat can be back up pacer, though shafiul is also an option. we could have had one of the up and coming pacers as a back up but abul has been failing and none of the ones in the A team did well and the best prospects haven't been given chnaces (abu and al amin).

sarkar, asif and shuvagata are definitely ones to watch but they miss out this time. for pacers we keep an eye on abu, al amin, kazi kamrul, subashis and sajidul. for spinners i think we are pretty set, saqlain is the next in and for variation we can look at nur and tapash for some leggy's down the line but for now we stick with shakib, sunny, sohag and enamul.

where is riyad? against quality test teams he's not a consistent bowling option and he's not been doing well with the bat for awhile plus middle order spots are tough to get right now with nasir and shakib doing well, mushy being a permanent fixture and naeem scoring well in the NCL. plus shuvagata has a good record to, and if mominul isn't being considered as a #3 then he's surely up there as a middle order contender to.