View Single Post
Old November 4, 2012, 10:23 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Nazimuddin

I haven't had the chance to actually watch any of the matches and therefore cannot put real context behind any of the notable performances so far. A total absence of real match reports where the action behind the numbers is reported, doesn't happen in our press so no help there either. Context is important if we are to assume that our so called "FC" stats qualitatively measure up to those of other test playing nations, and can help us pick players likely to sustain success at the highest level.

I echo RM's post here and feel that in light of the qualitative realities of our so called "FC" cricket, we ought to look for consistently notable performances over consecutive seasons as the NCL, hopefully, is transformed beyond "picnic" cricket.

The way things stand now, the NCL can actually adversely impact your game for a variety of reasons. You can get away with a lot of fundamental flaws in the tournament. For example, not moving your feet and blocking full-tosses and half-volleys to put up high scores against toothless attacks made even more toothless by flat tracks, and doing that in a league where many bowlers depend on unforced batting error when a batsman plays a bad shot in order to get most of their wickets. None of these things will you succeed at the highest level no matter how awesome your so called "FC" stats are.

So context means a lot to me personally and without actually watching the matches or reading real reports, I cannot make an educated comment as a fan as to who's ready for international cricket based on these so called "FC" stats alone.

However, I have been getting reports from several players actually playing at the moment and all say that despite several good individual performances with both bat and ball, the overall competitive spirit is sadly lacking when compared to a local league such as the DPL or the much hyped BPL. Players will not be at their best without that kind of high pressure, professional seriousness, period.
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)

Last edited by Sohel; November 5, 2012 at 01:08 AM..