View Single Post
Old November 12, 2012, 11:26 AM
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Shakib, M. Waugh, Bevan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sohel
And now Muhit Shaheb is putting words into Amartya Sen's mouth!

Talk about twisting words! It's time for him to go. What a disgraceful exit this'll turn out to be.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunaid
Well Muhith needs to be taken out to a retirement home.

http://www.virtualbangladesh.com/thoughts/?p=156
As Amartya Sen's response letter has only been excerpted partially by Sohel bhai, for greater clarity I'll paste it in its entirety:

"SEN'S FULL STATEMENT
I have known Mr Muhith for a long time and like him a lot (and I also think he is an excellent finance minister), and in view of all this, I am particularly surprised -- indeed astonished -- to see his attributing to me a view that is not mine. Indeed, the alleged utterance is not close to anything I told Muhith when we met briefly at the VIP lounge in the Bangkok Airport last month.

What I told him included the following:

1) Bangladesh has made extraordinary progress on economic and social matters at a very rapid pace in recent years -- a subject on which I have written in American and Indian newspapers and periodicals (I have also commented on the fact that Bangladesh has overtaken India in most of the standard indicators of living standards);

2) Prime Minister Hasina, whom I much admire, can certainly claim great credit for her leadership in the transformation of Bangladesh into a powerfully progressive modern society, and this does deserve hugely more global recognition;

3) The constructive roles of Bangladeshi NGOs, including the positive parts played by BRAC and Grameen Bank in the progress of Bangladesh, deserve emphatic recognition;

4) I am saddened by the fact that Bangladesh's achievements get far less acknowledgement and praise in the world media than they should get;

5) Among the principal factors behind this widespread global reluctance to say good things about Bangladesh's progress is a shared resentment by a large section of influential intellectuals across the world of the harsh official treatment of Dr Yunus in Bangladesh.

I was not at all accusing Yunus of preventing the recognition and praise that Bangladesh deserves (as Mr Muhith seems to be saying). Rather, I was pointing to the fact that the treatment of Yunus -- and its interpretation in the outside world -- have been strongly inhibiting factors working against the justified acclaim that Bangladesh's stellar achievements could otherwise be expected to get in the world.

I hope Mr Muhith will withdraw his wrong attribution to me, in the light of my reminding him of exactly what I told him."

Source