View Single Post
Old November 23, 2012, 07:22 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Bangladesh Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharup
Here's the thing you have to understand about test cricket. It's called test cricket because this game does really test your character as a player. It is the grass-root of cricket where you apply your basic skills. It is THE only format where you can test how good of a bowler/batsman you are. You mold yourself in this format and can only propel in other formats.
I didn't understand what you meant by "...and can only propel in other formats" if you meant that a good test batsman can just easily move into other formats...then it's wrong. Sunil Gavaskar and many many established test players failed to adjust with the other format. I have seen Nayeem playing test cricket in ODIs in the past when it was needed to do otherwise...and now he has changed his game to suit the test much more by slowing down further...I don't think he has the capacity to simply roll over... He tried to score a bit faster in second innings of Dhaka and 1st innings of Khulna ... And he failed miserably...so I don't know what you are basing your expectations on...

Quote:
Chokka Naeem already proved that he can play the longer version for a long time by scoring a ton against a tough bowling unit and he recently had a good run at NCL by scoring a couple of centuries as well. Here's a guy who can play both shorter and longer format with ease. I believe if he plays ODI then he will come lower down the order where he can hold his wicket together if the wickets start tumbling because he already knows how to occupy the crease, if need be, or switch to his natural aggressive level and start hitting chokkas. This is where Zia fails because Zia hasn't proved to the selectors or indeed to us that he CAN actually stay on the field for longer period or can switch his mood.
All the gunogan you sing is from the longer version and he is probably one of the rare players in NCL to have played in FC mood/mode.

His ability to switch between Test and natural aggression mode isn't as smooth as your words above and Chokka Nayeem is a Misnomer to me till now, from what I have seen him so far.

Quote:
Above all, Naeem is an excellent fielder in any format just like Nasir. Zia is nowhere near Naeem in terms of fielding and Naeem's bowling average is far better than Zia.
I don't think you can use the word excellent for his fielding at least today...he missed a vital catch today, trying to catch it like a dolphin....he missed catches even before...so he is just an ok fielder, nothing close to excellent. And who cares about Nayeem's bowling average....average wise it's already in the level of garbage, and what's good and bad in a garbage...

Overall, while the guy was trying to become a test batsman by changing his style (As said by Akram) ...just after two tests and one successful test innings, we are throwing him into ODIs...and net result will be another confused player...with neither a test nor a ODI success in future ... Will hang for sometime in the team basing on that 100 and then be dumped from all formats after repeated failures.... And then again we start searching for another Number 4 in the tests...can we expect any different result? Yes, if he is a genius. We will find out soon.... I wouldn't take that risk of experimenting until he is confident in one format...I.e. Test.. Due to his recent success there.