View Single Post
Old November 29, 2012, 06:58 PM

Favorite Player: Shakib, Nasir, Sir Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Pont
Myself and Julien worked with the spinners for the time I was National Bowling Coach.

As mentioned in an earlier post, I wasn't ONLY fast bowling coach as SJ is now, and Saq is spin coach. Both departments came under my remit after Saluddin left.

We spent ages with Lala and Shuvo on flight and turn, also Ryad and Naeem. Many days in the outdoor nets by the indoor centre (if you know those) involved putting out obstacles for the bowlers to bowl over, round and through so they would practice turn and flight. LaLa's arm ball really improved. We highlighted that Shakib's arm was too low and if you recall there were newspaper articles about him not practicing enough when others were working extra hard with us.

But I am not claiming the spin success at all. I am merely pointing out that it was under my remit and lala in particular, bowled magnificently at the end of 2010. He was ranked as the number one spin bowler in the world. He took a hat trick. He was on to break the world record of three consecutive 4 wicket hauls in ODI's, too.

http://banglacricket.com/alochona/sh....php?p=1264139

I was coaching all the bowlers at this time - although my passion is really in pace. Don't forget I am a Level 3 batting coach too, which is why I had views on Golden Hour and nets, although that department was out of my control.
I am aware of that. But, fans generally equate you with pace bowling and judge your performance based on how the pacers did. What I was trying to show was simply that our pacers became weapons under your watch. Before that Mash was probably our only pace-blowing threat. I think that if Mash had a relatively injury-free career, he would be a world-class pacer by now.