View Single Post
Old December 9, 2012, 03:51 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Bangladesh Team
Default Does Our Celebration Go Over The Top??

We have won the series and we deserve to celebrate. But do you think that our celebration sometimes go over the top? I feel at times like that and I think that's harming our development to some extent. Because in the process we limit our expectations and players start feeling complacent. Here is a BD fan's reaction to our celebration, I don't agree with him in totality, but I agree to some of the points:

Quote:
Seriously I hate the celebration, last night while i was going back home, all the people came down on the street and started rubbing their body against my car, it was to pathetic. Sheikh Hasina called for a public holiday this was only a series and now the players will be knighted by queen Hasina. I was stuck in traffic, the fans are pretty pathetic. Why can't they just go home and enjoy the highlights instead of dancing around in the streets and act as if they won the world cup. The prime minister should stop getting involved in every odi series.......A BD Fan in PP Forum
Do you really support such celebrations winning a series? More over we know how lucky we had been in the last match ... A few lucky moments/Events were..

1. We got two poor decisions in our favor at the end of WI innings and one against us (Razzak)
2. Mominul was lucky to be out there after relentless fishing at wide deliveries.
3. Mushy was extremely lucky not to be caught a few times
4. Entire batting line up was clueless against pace and bounce, even a 58 was possible if luck didn't favor us.
5. If WI would have executed the run out on the other end in that Sunny Dumb Act event, Nasir would have been out since Sunny was standing in this own crease.

I know cricket is a game and luck is a factor, but when you win basing on so much of luck, there should be some humility in that win, not to forget how we won it. But we seem to completely overlook that and go over the top with celebration, that puts all those weaknesses under the debris and they only pop us in the next series, when luck doesn't favor and we suffer humiliation....it has happened over and over again with our team, after luck ridden victories.

I can understand the celebration after winning the ICC trophy, because that ensured a giant leap forward for our cricket. The peak of the next celebration should be after we win the World Cup. Till then victories should be kept in perspective, for the team to realize their mistakes and improve upon those. However, you can't control people and dictate them how they should celebrate, but surely the government should stay away from cheap celebration to score political points and destroy the cricket by exaggerating the achievements through unnecessary rewards. While we can only request the fans to celebrate with some humility and not by insulting other country fans online...