View Single Post
Old May 17, 2013, 12:20 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Di Caprio

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianLara7
Any dark skinned person who has lived in Bangladesh will testify to the amount of racism present there... parents prefer one child to another if they have fair skin... african (black) foreigners are usually treated like peasants while white guests are treated like royalty... Years of living outside Bd, no one has ever told me you would look good only if you had light skin.. or ask me how did you come out that way (dark).....
this post here proves that even many on this forum do not understand what racism is or confuses it. how is it that lighter skinned sibling getting better treatment racism? favoritism perhaps.

it has to do with the perception of what constitute good looking. and news flash, good looking ppl get superior treatment anywhere in the world regardless of race.....

and i think you are going a little overboad with your other non substantiated claim..... I have personally seen how black are treated, same as how other foreigners are treated, with curiosity. I have a relative that got married in bd who had a guest travelled from US to BD for the wedding. she was treated decently i think. everyone one was proud that an AMERICAN came to the wedding from that far.....

listen would you hear few words here and there that may seem racist or outright racist in other cou tries - yes but are they from "hatred" or from lack of awareness, education, or just from plain insensitiveness... i think latter.

i am gonna give you an example of this insensitiveness... when i was teen, i visited village where one of my parents grew up. i was taking few pictures of some pond, patty fields... generally few kids were all happy and excited to be with me and then this elder lady passing by, seeing this, made a comment like in crude bangla that translates to "show off". i later had my camera stolen as well. my cousins were surprised that i was more upset about the comment than my stolen camera..... but then they made me realize these types off hand comments are very common in bd.... 99 ppl were very hospitable to me, 1 poor miserable lady that i dont give a f... about made a stupid comment... and i was focusing on that, skewing my thoughts....

so i think sometimes bangalees are insensitive and lack proper demeanor ..... and many comments regarding black ppl can fall in that category but i dont think anyone is going out of their way to form a hate group :p