View Single Post
Old June 16, 2013, 09:39 PM
Cricket Savant

Default Habibul Bashar Interview

Quote:
Habibul Bashar

'Playing for Bangladesh is the best thing that happened to me'

Habibul Bashar was in the side (though he nearly wasn't) when Bangladesh played their first Test, and for many of the other high and low points in their cricket history
Interview by Mohammad Isam
June 17, 2013

"I was not a born captain, but I was always willing to learn" © AFP

It was a huge decision for me to leave my hometown, Kushtia, to play cricket in Dhaka. Cricket was not a career option in Bangladesh back in 1988.
The motivation was always to play the best cricket. We were competitive but financially it was very different from now.
I was part of the inaugural Test squad, but I was dropped and told to go home from BKSP [Bangladesh Sports Institute]. That was another shock for me, because I was quite a regular with the national team. My wife came to pick me up, and she saw how upset I was.
I have met a lot of cricketers in my career, but Steve Waugh was totally different. He was at a different level.
I was the sort of player who needed mental reinforcement. I needed to be told I was doing well. Coaches have a big role to play in these situations.
In 2003 I made runs against South Africa and Australia, but the Pakistan tour was one that I enjoyed the most. I scored a lot of runs there, and I dominated their bowling attack.
My maiden hundred was a big relief, because I had made a few fifties in Test cricket. I remember every moment of it, and I ended up getting out to Grant Flower to a ball pitched way outside leg stump. I really need that hundred.
I still can't understand why I did badly in the two World Cups. I survived the 2003 tournament, but the 2007 World Cup finished my international career.
Full below

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/conte...ry/640759.html

Official Website |Amazon | Twitter/X | YouTube|Cricket Articles