View Single Post
Old October 7, 2003, 09:11 AM
Cricket Legend

Default Okay,

I think its important to make the distinction between Tests and ODIs. Sujon handles the bowlers quite well in Tests. Like Samir said, he hasn't made a serious blunder yet. He did bring himself on a little too often in the First Test against Pakistan because he was eager to prove that he had a role to play for the team. Once he started taking wickets and his confidence grew, his bowling changes got better.

In ODIs however, his bowling changes have been pretty terrible at times and I think this is what Rajputro is referring to. Two major problems that Pilot had as well. One, a captain needs to be able to recognize how many overs he can get out of a bowler in a single spell. Pilot had a terrible tendency to over-bowl his bowlers, and Sujon is a bit like that too. If a bowler has bowled a 6 over spell in one-day cricket and been economical, it doesn't mean that he should be given a seventh over. The captain has to recognize that maybe the bowler is tiring, his mental concentration is wearing out and decide to keep his remaining overs for later. Usually, you can tell this by the way the bowler runs up or loses accuracy towards the end of a long spell. But how many times have we chatted online or watched games and said okay its time to give so and so a rest but the captain brought him on for another over and the bowler went for 12 runs after he only gave away 15 in his first 5 overs. Surely we can all remember similar scenarios.

The other thing our captains still seem to be a little clueless about his how to use the bowlers in the slog overs. I just don't understand it but Sujon likes to bowl his spinners in the end overs with bowlers like Mashrafe and Mushfiq having overs left in their quota.