View Single Post
Old April 3, 2014, 01:01 AM
Ex Bangladesh National Bowling Coach
Dhaka Gladiators Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moh899
what would it take for you to come back and coach us as a head coach? I think we need you more as a fast bowling coach but you are a champion head coach too. what would it take?
My door is always open to help anyone if they ask. But we all know the BCB is not going to ask.

Generally, I think people confuse a great player as being someone who is a great coach. Or a popular person as the right choice for an important role. The truth is that if a coach is 'popular' with the players he might be popular because he is soft on them, or he can be easily manipulated.

Some of the best head coaches are not afraid to make tough decisions and ruffle a few feathers. Like him or loathe him, JS was such a coach. He was liked by some of the squad but not by others. But ultimately, whether you are a nice guy, tough guy or you talk a lot - you had better back it up with results.

I think Bangladesh needs to appoint successful coaches, not cheap ones or ones who are 'available'. The problem is always, and remains, that a HC of Bangladesh is unlikely to have the power to make the sweeping changes needed - whilst retaining the backing of the board.

You already had the every best guy for the role in my opinion, Richard Pybus. He walked away because of the reason above. I cannot stress how good a coach RP is and he would have, had he been allowed to, created an environment of winning and a culture of change.

The issue remains with the structure and control of the game, plus allowing the players to effectively do as they wish and take little responsibility or anyone takes any accountability. It really doesn't matter who you get as a HC whilst this is the situation.

Players like Anamul, Taskin and others will come through anyway. In a population of 180 million it is inevitable. Coaches like RM are doing a great job with the development of fresh faces, but his hands are tied.

The BCB could appoint Gary Kirsten, Andy Flower and Darren Lehmann all at the same time, but unless they are allowed to make changes and be backed up, then I don't see the point. You might be able to get short term wins but over time, the level remains static. In 14 years of Test status, unless something is changed, you end up with similar results. The players might be better but the rest of the world also gets better.

I don't see a way forward, except everyone involved with the game looking in the mirror and asking "am I doing my very best for the benefit of Bangladesh Cricket?"

In that question, is the solution.

Last edited by Ian Pont; April 3, 2014 at 01:31 AM..