View Single Post
Old June 15, 2014, 09:55 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Nazimuddin

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaad
The Italians have always gone for the catenaccio defense, especially when they have a lead -- it saps the opponent's energy and leaves them open to a counterattack. I thought they were getting over it after the last WC when they showed a much more sparkling attack, but it seems like they'll never give it up. Yes, it's boring -- one of the reasons I can't bring myself to really support them, despite having brilliant players like Pirlo -- but one can't deny that it's effective.
It's effective but negative soccer like Tiki-effing-Taka and I hate it. Don't get me wrong, I love watching good defensive units and appreciate the skills involved. Those skills are less flashy because they prevent rather than result in goals, but they are no less incredible. Think of guys like Beckenbauer, Matthaus, Baresi, Bossis, Maldini, Davids, Dunga, Zidane, Riquelme, Ronaldinho, Xavi, Iniesta, and Essien. Each was physical with the ability to win and then hold the ball with minimal touches that create space and passing lanes. Some attack more than the others but all are solid 2-way players with vision. Watch Messi play defense and win balls. It's beautiful.

I played defense and holding midfield for my high school in Europe and in college. Also played in the highly competitive Latino league in the Bay Area before I stopped playing at a high level around 1998.

But negative soccer is about deliberately subverting the defense-offense balance which makes the game truly beautiful. Gotta plan on the fly and execute whilst trying to score and preventing your opponent from scoring. Like Ali before he discovered rope-a-dope out of the necessity of fighting a bigger, stronger and younger opponent in Foreman.
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)

Last edited by Sohel; June 15, 2014 at 12:32 PM..