View Single Post
Old May 5, 2015, 10:27 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashfaq
Bro I think you are confused aftar watching Saqlain in PTV shows. Those are entertainment shows and I don't think we should take them seriously.

Saqlain did produce good results the last time he was here and he is still technically the soundest off-spinner alive, along with Swann. I think he's still a good coaching option.

Murali would be a better option though. That man had a genius mind. He could tell what the batsman would do even before the batsman thought of it.
Murali is known more to be a mentor/motivational coach. But its true Nathan Lyon has learned a lot under him.

Sri Lanka's highest regarded spin coach is a man called Piyal Wijetunge. He is pretty much behind all the Sri Lankan spinners who have emerged in recent years. He's Sri Lanka's go to guy to fix actions, groom young talent be it at under 19, national team level.

BCB tried to sign him along with Kalpage and Hathurusingha, but SLC managed to lure him to extend his stint.

Things are not rosy though at Sri Lanka cricket. Its in serious transition. Chaminda Vaas's contract hasnt been renewed-on mutual agreement. Might not be a bad idea to have another go at Wijetunge and get him to work at academy level with all age group spinners and national level spinners when they have time off.

We musnt underestimate Ruwan Kalpage either. He's probably not as nuts and bolts as Wijetunge, but he can get the job done. Nasir seems to have improved a bit under him.