View Single Post
Old January 16, 2017, 11:34 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Don't want to jinx anyone

My friends. I know you are all hurting, and yes Shakib is a great player. Criticising him does not mean we devalue his past (or even immediate past, like 1st innings). But the criticism is justified, because:

1) in cricket, you must play to the situation. If you fail with a shot that is not called for, then you are culpible. If you win, so be it - but observant followers will know that the batsman/bowler took a risk. Best counterargument is Kane Williamson. His century was copybook, beautiful test match batting with very few risky shots (i.e. mostly on the carpet)

2) Shakib is a senior player in a team with lots of young players, a tail that does not wag, and two injured batsman with no guarantee of returning to the crease. Again, he did not play the situation

3) a win was not on the cards. Therefore getting runs was pointless. Why go for the glory shot?

Can we leave it at that folks? Shakib has done this so often. He is an immense talent, but as Spiderman says "with great power comes great responsibility"....