View Single Post
Old September 7, 2017, 11:01 AM
ODI Cricketer

Default Tiger Squad for Upcoming SA Series (Your Opinion)

Okay. I know a lot of us were not particularly impressed with the squad selected for the Australia series and ended up thinking that poor selection is the sole reason to miss an opportunity to defeat a top side in a Test series, I thought we should start discussing about squad selection for our next assignment ASAP to prevent history repeating itself.

Test Squad for SA Tour

1) Tamim Iqbal
2) Soumya Sarker
3) Mominul Haque
4) Mosaddek Hossain
5) Sakib Al Hasan
6) Mushfiqur Rahim (WK) (C)
7) Sabbir Rahman
8) Saifuddin Ahmed
9) Md. Shahid
10) Subhashis Roy
11) Fizz (1st Test) / Taskin (2nd Test)

Bench: Litton, Miraz, Shanto.

Note:
# I have selected Soumya instead of KaEdge in full knowledge that CH will select him anyway and there's not much difference between Soumya and KaEdge to be honest as both of them won't move their feet on fast bouncy pitch against quality pace attack which will result in getting caught in slips within 5 to 15 minutes of occupying the crease. But Soumya has slightly better hand-eye co-ordination than KaEdge and may surprise us if he gets lucky.

# Shareer Nafees is a proven FTB and should be tried only in Home Test matches due to his prolific runs in domestic circuit if we are really hard pressed to select him for NT. Also, the less we discuss about Anamul Haque in longer version of the game, the better.

# Mini is suppose to be decent against pace bowling and Shanto is under-cooked at the moment due to lack of away series for A-Team.

# Although a lot of us believe Mosaddek might not be as good against quality pace bowling as he is against spin, he should come at 4 mainly due to the fact that he scored vast majority of his FC runs at #4 (@70 average) and personally I would keep Mushy as WK which would automatically push him to bat at #6.

#Litton Das needs to develop his offside batting skill more to be considered as viable option in away tours against a pace battery which is predominantly RF/RFM, His keeping skill seems to be as good as Mushy if not better. I would keep him as reserve WK.

# Both Nasir and Sabbir should only be considered for LOI squad, but we may need to slot in Sabbir due to lack of option as I really do not want Ryad to make a comeback to Test squad, though Ryad is my personal favorite to take over ODI captaincy from Mash once he retires!

# I have watched Saifuddin closely over the years and honestly I don't think he is even poor man's "Ben Stoke". But Miraz was pretty toothless in NZ condition and do not inspire any confidence to do things differently in SA condition. So I would rather gamble with Saifuddin in the playing XI than select Miraz to make him a failure inevitably.

# As far as pace bowling department is concerned, both Shahid and Roy should be selected as work horse and injury-prone Fizz and Taskin should play alternatively.

[P.S. Please post your squad with explanation ]