View Single Post
Old November 1, 2017, 08:06 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by aklemalp
This is kind of ironic. If you look at the records at the under-19 level on statsguru, you'll see that there are mostly BD players who prominent in there.

Th mentality of them is somewhat lost as they make their translation to the senior team. Guys who they are supposed to look up to are not well fit to play that role. If you look at Australia, you'll see the transition... from Steve Waugh to Ricky Ponting to Michael Clarke to Steve Smith.

At every point along the way, there are seniors to instill the best and the worst of international cricket. The intricate framework of it. Trying to seize the opportunity and momentum. To learn how to control a match.

In the other thread, I noticed the term 'student' of the game coming up. The best example of a young player/s who are students of the game is Shai Hope and Kraigg Brathwaite. Shai's ascendancy has been stunning. He won us a game in England. Kraigg made over 100 centuries in various stages of youth cricket before even making his test debut. These guys understand the nature of the game.

Okay, lemme divert back to the topic. Bangladesh player's are mighty talented. I give them that. They make their debuts, dominate, and then regressed to mediocrity. They have no basis of competitiveness. The lack of this was evident in the recent tour of SA. They were exposed. And no real authoritative figure to look up to.

One analogy I can think of is thinking of driving a car when you don't have a license. It's easy thinking about it, but gets exponentially harder if you have never done it before.

There is a vacuum that needs occupying, but no one wants to step up.

Please forgive me if I am being too critical
Genuinely curious - how strong is the domestic setup of the West Indies? Obviously a far richer history than Bangladesh's, but what state is it in now, during the dark age of West Indies cricket?