View Single Post
Old June 28, 2018, 09:21 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hassan
Default Favorite Int. Cricket Stadium? Least favorite? Reasons. Discussions. Factoids.

Recently, I was doing some research on the upcoming WI tour, and I don't know how I ended up looking at all WI stadiums. It's interesting that Bourda in Georgetown, Guyana is the only cricket stadium in the world with a moat around it, as it is prone to flooding.

I do love architecture, and thought I would open a thread on int. cricket stadiums.

Two of my favorites

HPCA Stadium in Dharmasala, Ind. Highest int. cricket ground in the world, also a candidate for the most aesthetic backdrop. I personally love mountains, so it's a no brainer for me. I like the main stand as well, has a Tibetan theme to it, which makes sense as Himachal Pradesh shares a border with Tibet.

MCG in Melbourne, Aus. Mostly because of its sheer size. I like mega architecture, and this is an example of that. Concrete and steel all around. At 100,000 capacity, it seats 35,000 more people than Eden Gardens, the second biggest cricket stadium in the world. Most grounds do not even seat 35,000 people, think about that.

Also, I always liked the bricks at the entrance gates of Gaddafi Stadium, Lahore. It's just unique. Sri Lanka's Galle Int. Stadium is also very cool due to the Galle fort and ocean backdrop. Also interesting that it was completely destroyed in the 2004 tsunami and had to be rebuilt.

Lord's and SBNCS are two of the most overhyped stadiums out there imo.