View Single Post
Old August 5, 2018, 07:30 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mike Procter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengaliPagol
thing is if it is bilateral T20s no one really cares about the outcome. So it is a great opportunity to blood youngsters and upcoming players to get used to international cricket as a whole
I agree as long as the player is given the mental freedom to know his spot in other formats or even in this particular format for a certain period of time is relatively safe so said player can go out there without being nervous of position for next match.

I realise BD youngsters in some respects have been given a long rope but the choppy changey selection is different to other countries where they stick with someone for awhile, checkout stats of other players like maxwell, markram, Mitchell Marsh, kusal perera, kusal mendis. Sure someone of them got dropped here and there but I think if you look at there careers they probably got longer periods of selection and time in the playing xi than some BD players.

I could be wrong, I mean I know sabbir especially hasn’t been chopped and changed as much but even soumya, he’s always competed with imrul, liton, anamul, mominul a bit, Zakir Hasan came in for one match as an opener in t20s. Even shakib, mushy and riyad have had goes in the number 3 spot which is a position soumya competes for. Sabbir as well over that WC period.

If you pick players you need to give them a certain amount of matches, youngsters in all countries these days tend to struggle and it often takes them 40+ matches to adjust to international level. Best is to give a player 3 straight series (maybe more depending on how many matches are in each series eg for BD with tests 2-3 series just isn’t enough).

And don’t forget BD in general play less matches so we can’t compare a BD youngster who’s been around the team for 3 years with a youngster from Australia or South Africa or india who’s been around those teams for 3 years because more than likely those youngsters will have played 10-20 more matches (possibly even more) than the BD youngsters.

BCB really need to start building a good solid schedule of matches, tamim, shakib, mushy, riyad should’ve played over 100 test matches by now and at least 300-400 ODIs. Mominul should’ve played close to 50 tests by now.

Obviously no spot is ever guaranteed but if players go out there soo nervous they can barely play then there is a problem, course it’s part and parcel of this profession so players need to learn to deal with that pressure.

What’s shanto up to? He was just in WI so on the cusp of the national playing xi but he doesn’t get a game for the A team when he’s in the squad? If he is in Ireland and he is fit then there is no reason why he shouldn’t be in those playing xi’s