View Single Post
Old September 2, 2018, 06:19 AM
Street Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamnsu
I don’t understand the underlying reason behind this question.

But how many British females do you see married in North America?
The underlying reason is simple, there are 24 thousand bangladeshis in Canada, only a few thousands from that would be sylehti. I'm a 6ft tall fair skinned guy - who's often mistaken as Pakistani by Pakistanis in the mosque and non-sylhetis - preferring a tall, religious girl who also doesn't look like your average bengali girl. I think my chances of finding such a girl is exponentially higher among a population of 500,000 sylhetis in the UK, hence I ask how open are british sylheti familes in giving away their daughters to sylhetis families in other countries.

The only british born sylheti I know who moved into Canada is my Sasi, who married my sasa who was living in Canada around 1990.

The first gen young sylhetis in Canada are pretty different, a lot of them end up marrying into non-sylheti familes these days, usually those sylhetis that are marrying into non-sylheti familes are pretty liberal and not too religious either. As a result the demand for sylheti wife is not that stringent, and hence they don't even give a second thought about british sylhetis. I've probably attended 2 pure first gen Canadian sylheti weddings in the last decade - both weddings involved religious conservative families. The only sylheti diaspora imports into Canada I know of is my cousin who married a sylheti from Dubai, and another canadian sylheti guy who married and imported a sylheti girl from Saudi.

Taking all into account I can't really gauge the likelyhood of british sylhetis willing to move to Canada, because I don't think it's been attempted much; Hence another reason why I ask the question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roey Haque
Why not Habiganj?
My Moulvibaazari family does not like habiganj people too much, as they are not religious enough and are interested in arts and music far more in addition to being more hindu influenced- something I also myself have personally observed from habiganj people in living in Canada. Also they don't speak proper sylheti.