View Single Post
Old July 19, 2005, 12:06 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by jabbar
hmmm, i guess that one way of looking at it. You are a positive guy.. i like that

I applaud your comments, and encourage your stance on certain things, but demonising whites is not helping the issue. The colour of your skin does not determine how honest or "good" you are - there are many Bangladeshis in Bangladesh who are really bad (and I mean, really bad)....

So, I implore you to talk as a human being, not as merely a "whiteguy" -- I don't care if you're black, red, yellow, or pink-with-purple-polkadots.

Edited on, July 19, 2005, 3:30 AM GMT, by jabbar.
Thank you for the compliment.
Demonishing whites? I'm surprised by that statement. You got me all wrong. How did I do that? I was doing the opposite I thought. I thought it was angelic, not demonic, that we looked at our history, learned from it, educated ourselves from it, and most of us don't judge anymore. It is a perception that many non whites have because of our history. I was trying to point out that now in the last decade or so, we are probably the least racist of people, however, our history catches up with us, which influences perceptions. American movies too, about the south, about the natives, our past marriages laws, etc. etc.etc., etc,.(Funny, notice how I say our, yet I am an immigrant, funny how I blended right in since I was so young.)

As to me speaking as a whiteguy, what is wrong with that? Maybe its because of my Psychology training. A lot of research and textbooks put people into categories. White Black, mainly, but than there are Brown, Asian etc. It's because they may do research and need to categorize it. For instance, there is research about many diseases, but for a variety of reasons, environmental, or biological, it may effect twice as many Black as Whites, or vice versa. That is valid reasoning for pointing out the difference. Further, there has been a lot of research about Blacks and pregnanacy at early age. Latino's. etc. Than, if the problem lies in a certain category of persons, the help and grants for the research is given for that category, to help them. Whether its medical, health, psychological, economical, etc. So there are many reasons in Psychology, where differeces need to be established. Hence, I may talk as a "whiteguy" rather than a human, because it is normal in our discipline, and for that I appoligize. I would add that I took a marketing course, and even they do it for the purposes of marketing to their target audience. So the money is spent most efficiently. It would be a waste of money to advertise sari's in a non south asian, or non indian group.
So, since there is no racism involved, and since most of us westerners are proud of whom we are, than for the benefit of psychology, advertising, marketing, business and whatnot, it is acceptable. Hows that? Is that good?