View Single Post
Old May 19, 2019, 09:35 AM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafique

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportingBD
I don’t know what industry you work in. Sometimes your own average position doesn’t allow you to see the good sides, since you only end up seeing the worst ones.

I have met many people in the banking/finance/accounting world that are from Sylheti background, and yes the young generation. There are loads of them working for big corporations like KPMG, Deloitte, Ernst & Young.. and soo on.

This particular issue you talk about is very problematic and prevalent in the restaurant/hospitality industry. Mostly filled up with middle aged men, and those that didn’t continue further education.

But this is no way to judge everyone. Your own experience isn’t reflective of the whole Sylheti community.
I agree with your observation.

I work in the education sector and I see every year 10-12 students in the first year undergraduate course of a top UK university. The number has steadily increased over the last few years. I know similar numbers get into the MBBS course of our university as well. Second generation Sylhetis even from the restaurant industry are also getting degrees from universities and entering into the mainstream jobs market. The pace of change has been slow, but it has accelerated in the last 10-12 years.