View Single Post
Old July 4, 2019, 01:27 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Taskin Ahmed - TazKing

I know I used specific examples, but guys, let's actually concentrate on the overall picture here. Do you actually agree that this is the best team that could go into world cup? Do you feel we have got the best team we could have going into this world cup? I really don't think so. I think we made some tactical mistakes. I just want to take these as lessons, if we didn't learn from our mistakes, Ashraful will still be ruling the middle order, and Javed Omar will still be opening.

Mushfiqur is not the best wicket keeper in the country, yet he continues playing as WK.

Mashfrafe struggled severly as a fast bowler, while it is debatable if we actually needed him as a captain, I felt that spot was absolutely wasted. And it was an important spot.
I will repeat again, Rubel's time is probably done! He is 4 years past his prime and we need to try atleast new tearaways. It may not work at all, but 4 years from today I don't want to say again, I told you so, we knew this was a problem and we didn't fix it.

Because guess what, changes do not happen in Bangladesh overnight. Our biggeset achievments being boasted by everyone left right and center is becoming second in every competition, getting knocked out in QF, getting knocked out in SF. While it is improvement, I am not satisfied with just improvement. We need to not just compete but win tournaments.

Believe it or not, there is just a limit for every batsman or bowler to the heights he can reach. End of the day more often than not, the team that has higher collective skiills will win. Your performance in the past only matters to a certain point in keeping confidence and backing yourself in a game. What really matters to become a performer is skills and skills can be tought but also for some people there is a limit to the heights he is going to reach. I am only saying it because, our team has performed the best it could, to be honest it has exceeded that limit if you look at it. It couldn't beat Australia or England or India because our collective skills is lower than the other teams. You all have to accepet this, there is no other way to improve if we don't accept this.

After reading accepting my previous point, here is what we need to do. We need to find players with high levels of skills. What does that actually mean? I will give you an example. Imran Khan was looking for a fast bowler, one day he saw a fast bowler in the TV and he went for 45 runs in 5 overs. He called him to the nets next day and told he will play Pakistan and go to World Cup. Inzamam got told similiar way after being seen for 3 balls in the nets. I am not saying we do the same way, this is not the right way, it is too desperate, but what I am saying is we need to identify players with high levels of skills, identify them early and back them. What we are doing is, we are idenetifying mediocrity early and sticking to mediocrity. This is not the way, and I can tell you right now mediocrity will not last, it never does. The players we are discussing are mediocre - tell me if they will last till the next 4 years.

We need to assess our team again right now, because we have 4 years to build the next gen. What is the benchmark are we going to set? A team that can get away on spinning, low bounce dead wickets? Or world beaters that can play anywhere and unsettle teams with pace, mystery spin and fearless batting. Because, I can guarantee you that, once we fill these gaps and we actually build a team which has higher skills than any other teams, we are just going to beat them on the basis of just being better at the end of the day and win tournaments. I can 100% guarantee that.

I will say this again, how we learn from our World Cup and how we build our team right now is going to define our cricket in the next world cup or the near term future. Let's learn from our mistakes and correct them and not just sit on them hoping our team becomes better, hoping against hope.