View Single Post
Old October 15, 2005, 12:48 AM
BC T-Shirt Design Winner

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

I think it has the potential to become a great power but I don't know to what extent because I doubt it will ever be able to match US's military capability. But does superpower really have to be defined by military power?

Economically China is flourishing rapidly. It may not be a world superpower but definitely has the potential to become one in South Asia, which I think is quite necessary because China and Bangladesh have had very close relation since 1975, so it will be beneficial for our own development and security.

Read this:

China and Bangladesh also have a 'Defence Co-operation Agreement' .

Bangladesh-China Defence Co-operation Agreement: The Defence Co-operation Agreement was signed between Bangladesh and China during the visit of Bangladesh Prime Minister, Begum Khaleda Zia ‘s visit to China from December 23 to 27, 2002.

Some observations/statements emanating from Bangladesh officials and media sources explaining the Defence Cooperation Agreement are as follows:

* The purpose of Defence Cooperation Agreement signed with China is to meet present day need of Bangladesh’s defence forces.

* This new agreement was signed to help institutionalize the existing accords in defence sector and also to rationalize the existing piecemeal agreements to enhance cooperation in training, maintenance and some areas in production.

* Bangladesh Foreign Minister, responding to questions, emphasized the following:

-Bangladesh wanted time-befitting armed forces for the country. China will cooperate with Bangladesh for this purpose.

- “Intention is there to cooperate in defence sector; now the two sides w ill co-operate with each other”

-“This defence umbrella agreement is not directed against any country and would not affect Bangladesh’s relations with India”

Source: Link

Having said that, China too has much to gain from Bangladesh..... read this interesting article: "China's march on South Asia"

Edited on, October 15, 2005, 5:51 AM GMT, by Hatebreed.