View Single Post
Old June 7, 2006, 07:23 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Ricky Ponting

Neill wary of referees
By Guy Hand
June 7, 2006

AUSTRALIA defender Lucas Neill fears overzealous officials looking to tone down physical play may ruin the team's hopes against World Cup favourite Brazil.

Brazil coach Carlos Alberto Parreira today welcomed FIFA president Sepp Blatter's call for referees to "protect the good players" from overly rough play in the tournament starting on Saturday (AEST).

But Neill fears officials will get carried away, believing Blatter's call may have an adverse impact on the Socceroos - especially against Brazil in Group F on June 18.

The Australians were criticised by some Dutch players for their physical style in their drawn friendly in Rotterdam on Sunday.

"The game against Brazil is going to be all desperation and lunges, and I hope it doesn't turn into a bit of a farce," Neill said.

Neill defended Australia's committed approach that upset some of the Dutch players, because it was a warm-up game, saying the Socceroos were playing to their strengths against a more skilful team.

"We just try to assert our authority by playing a high-pressure, high-tempo game," he said.

"We had to try and upset the rhythm of their passing game because they're so technically gifted.

"I thought we did it very well."

Parreira meanwhile hoped that referees would heed Blatter's instructions.

"We always hear this before a World Cup," he said.

"They always say violence will not be allowed and gamesmanship will be stopped. It's a good idea and I want to see it put into practice."

Brazil is wary of the threat posed by Australia and its committed style.

"Australia are very tough opponents, and they're going to cause trouble for all the teams in the group, including us," Parreira said.

"We have to make our skill count, we have to impose our skill and keep the ball on the ground."

Australia plays Liechtenstein in its final pre-World Cup friendlies tomorrow morning (AEST), but the Socceroos are already focusing their attention on their opening World Cup match - against Japan in Kaiserslautern on Monday.

The fixture is considered a virtual sudden-death match for both teams.

Neill said the team's preparation had been perfect, having answered the three challenges posed by European champion Greece a fortnight ago, world No.3 the Netherlands on Sunday, and coach Guus Hiddink on the training pitch.

"I'm glad for the games we've had to prepare because it's asking some questions and we're answering them, and on the training pitch," he said.

"We're going to go in fully equipped and prepared."