View Single Post
Old June 27, 2006, 02:02 PM
Test Cricketer

I am bit confused with the question. Did u mean, the best ever strikers in terms of number of goals scored?. .or Best goal scored by any individual or in overall, the most fearsome striker who had mesmerised the ability to score goals and help the team to win the world cup. For first one, it had be Ronaldo, 2nd one, defnitely Maradonna and 3rd one, no doubt, Pele. But, its also not fair to compare players from differnt generation. Pele played game when teams were not so great defensively and marking were so much like today. Pele could move much more freely as compared to any strikers today. Maradonna, no words left for me. God created only one Maradonna. Even though his off field image isnt a respectable one, but, on the field, he was the best ever player in his generation. As far from only being a true goal scorer, i would probably rate Ronaldo higher than anyone else. Just see, he is still scoring even though his totally unfit, heavy and hardly moves. He is still scoring when he is just 25% of real Ronaldo. Ppl who havent see young 19 years old ronaldo before, should search for the videos. he was just wonderful when he was playing for Barcelona or that dutch club (sorry dont rem the name). U can find his videos on http://r9ronaldo.ru U will surely be amazed at his power to score goals.

Those who are talking abt Brazil's win in 2002 world was due to Rivaldo, I am just surprised. Ronaldo scored when it matterd most, in the final. He is the striker , not the midfielder. He job is to score when he gets into the D box. Game of Rivaldo ro Ronaldinho are completely different than Ronaldo. So, can hardly be compared. As far as my views, Ronaldo did more than enough in 2002 world cup.
In 98, brazil didnt loose because, there were no Ronaldinho, Brazil lost because of two reasons.... They had a very poor defence specially Junior Biano and secondly, becoz of the coach Jagalo. His tactics of " attack is the best defence" ruined brazil. I was very nervy from the very beginning of the world cup in 98 about such poor tactic, some how brazil did overcome all to come to final. And. unfortunatly, it had to happen in Final, when this stupid tactic of Jagalo failed. Techincally, 98 team was much better than 2002. They just failed because of a very fragile central defence system. They didnt have any midfielder like Mazinho to hold the defence from the center. I wish Jagalo could never become the coach of brazil. he is just too outdated with technic that can win worldcup. I really hope . He remains the asst coach with Parreira this time and never becomes the full one.