View Single Post
Old July 11, 2006, 09:59 AM
Club Cricketer

Favorite Player: Viv Richards

Just read through all the postings. Interesting, how no one is saying how it al started. Yes, in the end it was the headbutt, after Materazzi said something (probably bery bad). But if you see the video and go back a few seconds, it was Zidane who was saying something to him. And, why is no one asking what Zidane said that provoked Materazzi to say those "unspeakables"?

In many professional football game, they deliberately use verbal abuse to distract players (football's version of "sledging" by the Aussies). I do not support that, but it happens. And Zidane is a 35 year old, who has definitely experienced it, and used it himself before. After that, if he cannot keep his cool in his career's final match - it is sheer idiotic behavior.

I regard Zidane as a great player. But he is never admired for his people skills. Whatever Materazzi said to him, and whatever he said to Materazzi to provoke him to say those things - he, being Zidane, being the next Nepoleon of France, should have kept his cool. The red card was rightly served.