View Single Post
Old July 13, 2006, 07:24 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubu
Mr. Ganja (aka maradona) own only one WC for Argentina. he gave argentina a hand (in every possible meaning!), pele own 3. Just look at the record, and you will know.

Here is a small anicdot for you: once play was playing and 2/3 of his shot went over the bar, he challenged the measurement of the post, and sure enough the post was short by about 6 inches. ask maradona to match that, he won't get it even with a pound of ganja and 2 legs and 2 hands.

the only reason some people rate maradona over play is simply the one stated above. few people has seen him play. see some of those black and white footage and u'll have to doubt in your mind.
Let me pose the question in different way? How many WC Brazil won solely by Pele. Let me check
1958 : Pele was the kid of the team. Didi, Vava, Amerildo were the main men in the team. So Pele can play without any pressure. Also this team one of the best 5 team ever assembled for World cup.
1962: Pele was injured after 2nd or 3rd match. This world cup is known as 'Little bird Garrincha's World Cup'. He single handly won it in semi final and Final
1970: This Brazil team is considered as the greatest team ever played togther. With the exception of Goal keeping there was no weak point of the team
In case of Maradona,
1986: It was Maradona and other 10. Without Maradona I have doubt whether they could have even beaten a half decent european team let alone World Champion. Valdono was the only other player of the team who can be considered as World Class. Maradona single handedly won it. He scored goal (5 to be precise of which 2 goals could be counted as best of the best) and assisted goal.
1990 : A half fit Maradona almost won the w/c if not Klinns'dive' man and mexican referry. With Cannigia the only decent player and penalty stopper g/k.

Maradona has been so much accused of the famous 'hand of God' goal. I think it is because he scored againest England. Why people forgot the greatest individual goal scored in that game. To prove that it was not fluke he did it again againest Belgium in next game. Regarding 'hand of God' It is nothing uncommon putting hand if you can not reach by head in every professional league.

In club level, Pele never played in rigourus european league. So comparing club record of Maradona and Pele is like comparing County cricket with our national league. But Maradona make Napoli an obscure club an Italian champion not once but twice. I think Napoli also won UEFA cup under Maradona.

So those who think Pele is greatest is just brainwased by media. Never forgot Pele is a good boy in media's eye. How many of you know Pele's daughter has earned her right after 5 years of court fighting. She has to prove that she is the daughter after DNA test. and Maradona's case it is all over the news when the boy just claimed it.