View Single Post
Old October 22, 2006, 03:14 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beamer
All these talks about BCCI taking a loss by hosting Bangladesh is sheer nonsense. Doesn't BCCI have one of the richest TV deal in the history of the game? Hosting Bangladesh would not in any way cause a negative balance in their account. TV money will pay for most of it anyway. How about letting one of our companies be the sponsor in a hypothetical series involving us and India on Indian soil? Would India allow that? We allowed Indian companies to sponsor on our soil before. I agree, money is a big part now a days, but this is beyond money I am afraid and hiding behind it is not the answer. Does BCCI generate income when they fly their whole team to Zimbabwe to play a series? I mean crowd presence is a non-starter there, yet, they went, because the TV deal is in place and respective boards would make money regardless! I am afraid, it is purely a political decision and one would have earned more respect, in my mind, if they came straight out and stated it as such.
Well Said!

If Australia,Pakistan,Srilanka, West Indies did not have a problem hosting Bangladesh for a test series, why the heck should India have a problem??

As for "not getting enough spectators" etc, you just need to look at the past. India hosted Zimbabwe for a number of test and oneday series. I am sure that crowd attendance was even worse for those series, atleast Bangladesh is a subcontinent team and in places like Calcutta there might actually be more interest for Bangladesh than Zimbabwe. Also, as you rightly pointed out, tv deals should be enough to compensate for poor attendance..