November 6, 2006, 01:07 PM
BC T-Shirt Design Winner
Join Date: June 19, 2005
Location: Camden, London
Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza
Today is the day..
Sir Alex Ferguson celebrates 20 years as Manchester United manager
He's unquestionably one of the greatest football managers of all-time and most successful manager in English football history. Here's some facts about him -
WHO IS ALEX FERGUSON?:
- Born Dec. 31, 1941 in Glasgow, Scotland, he has led Manchester United to one Champions League triumph, eight Premier League titles and five FA Cups.
- His greatest achievement was in 1999 when United won the Champions League, Premier League and FA Cup. (known as the 'Treble' or 'Impossible Dream', and Manchester United is the only club to do ever win it)
- He was knighted for his services to British football following the unprecedented treble.
- Before joining United, he led Aberdeen to three Scottish titles and one European Cup Winners' Cup in the 1980s, breaking the dominance of Glasgow giants Rangers and Celtic in Scottish football.
- Played in Scotland for Queens Park, St Johnstone, Dunfermline, Rangers, Falkirk and Ayr United.
- Managed Scottish sides East Stirlingshire, St Mirren and Aberdeen was also Scotland's caretaker manager at the 1986 World Cup finals before moving to United.
- Ferguson took over at Old Trafford on November 6, 1986 after the dismissal of Ron Atkinson.
- He guided them away for the relegation zone but success failed to materialise in the following seasons and he was close to the sack before United won the FA Cup in 1990, the first silverware under his reign.
- A flurry of trophies followed and Ferguson became a cult figure. He has perfected the art of using the media to play out mind games with Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger and Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho, adding spice to several championship run-ins.
- He announced his intention to retire as United manager in 2002 but changed his mind.
- Under Ferguson, United won the Champions League in 1999 and have claimed eight Premier League titles in 1993, 1994, 1996, 1997, 1999, 2000, 2001 and 2003.
- They lifted the FA Cup in 1990, 1994, 1996, 1999 and 2004 during his tenure along with the European Cup Winners' Cup in 1991 and the English League Cup in 1992 and 2006.
- Other honours include the UEFA Super Cup in 1991 the Inter-Continental Cup in 1999.
- At Aberdeen, he won the Scottish League in 1980, 1984 and 1985. They lifted the European Cup Winners Cup in 1983 and the UEFA Supercup the same year.
- He also claimed the Scottish Cup in 1982, 1983, 1984 and 1986, as well as the Scottish League Cup in 1986.
For bringing Man Utd where it is today, for the glorious years, and more to come, we we owe him a big THANK YOU