View Single Post
Old November 15, 2006, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylheti
I was browsing the net looking for all things Sylheti/Bangladeshi, and I was astonished when I came across a website claiming that the Bangladeshi government allocates an annual military budget amounting to $900 MILLION!

Given the grinding poverty, social instability and political mayhem that is the Bangladesh we know and love, how can such waste be justified as being halal? Does Bangladesh realistically face an external threat that necessitates the purchase of fighter planes, tanks and warships instead of improving the countries infrastructure and wiping out preventable diseases and rampant illiteracy amongst the masses?

It seems to me that a disproportionally large number of netcitizens of Sylheti/Bangladeshi origin live outside Bangladesh, precisely because of the poverty and lack of opportunity rather than because they are anxious about an external threat.

I thought people from other district are jealous of 'foisawala' Sylheti people! how come they go and live outside because of poverty and lack of opportunity? Besides how you justify $900m is a waste and not being halal, based on that figure? How did you come to a conclusion that we don't have external / internal threat?

Though I agree with you on 'there should at least be a full and transparent accounting' ( your 2nd post ).