View Single Post
Old November 16, 2006, 09:30 AM
BC T-Shirt Design Winner

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

Sylheti, let me break it down to you.

"Sovereignty, pride and territotrial integrity do not occur in a vacuum. And they certainly cannot be earned by the deployment of the military."

No they don't pop out of thin air, unless you missed something called "Liberation War 1971", i.e. when Bangladesh was liberated. That's how we "earned" our sovereignty and territorial integrity as a free nation. The goal of the armed forces is to "protect" that pride and our rights to freedom. So why should it be "earned" again unless I missed a headline "[INSERT YOUR VILLAGE] INVADES BANGLADESH".

The army isn't liked in the CHT because of rights abuses.

The army isn't liked by who? What abuses? Give me source, give me information on victims. Let's compare!

Besides BD military lost it's pride when it got involved in politics in the 70's, often bloodily.

Welcome to the past. So what's your point? Feel free to elaborate on your meaning of this "lost pride", what precise "bloody" involvements you speak of, whether or not you condemn them, and if so why? Also what does it have to do with current military expenditure, and so forth.

Fazal makes a valid point about who pays for these fat, inefficient, corrupt and overly politicised military officers (although I suppose there are some dedicated and public spirited individuals as well) to swan around in their Toyotas.

No, Fazal merely gave his opinion that he would rather not have his share of income spent on things that he doesn't directly benefit from, just like any average taxpayer. I don't enjoy the fact I have to pay tax for UK's welfare system that gives benefits to lazy people, many of whom are fraud and regrettably Bangladeshis.. but that's how the system works. So like he said, wherever else the money comes from or goes to is none of his business. You just added up your own BS to spice up your agenda, about fat military officers, Toyota cars (hey why not BMWs?), blah blah, birds can fly, Sylheti is a language, etc. Newsflash: no army is holy, live with it!