View Single Post
Old December 1, 2006, 06:47 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: Only Ashraful & Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shehwar
Well...I wish I knew He was going to be this big a star...Probably wud have taken zillions of photos with him and wud have written down his every single move!...lolz...Anyways..It was back in 96-97 when we were in the 6th or 7th grade...Abir(SN's nickname) was a student of Shaheen School and I was going to Adamjee Cantt...Both our dads were in the Army...We had this playground in Kochukhet Cantonment Area where we used to play every afternoon...Apart from that...SN also used to go to this Cricket Coaching place....dont quite remember which one...He really did have exceptional talent...All we kids used to fear the 'Big Bhaiyas' who were going to college and their ball speeds wud seem like Waqar Younis to us....But SN used to hit them for sixes with effortless ease...Ofcourse it was Tape-Tennis cricket but at times we wud also play with the real cricket ball which we used to call 'Kather Ball' or 'Duece Ball'....dont really know why we called the ball that...Anywayz...SN used to bowl offspin with a very dodgy action...I remember he always used to get called for throwing...and to be really honest..His action really did seem like he was throwing the ball....However his younger brother who was very very young then and who also used to play with us and go cricket coaching with him used to bowl these amazing googlies....I wonder how he is doing now....Im sure he wud be equally good...SN was known as Jayasuria among us.....Infact my mom never really knew his name!...So when he did score that hundred for U-19 against India....I had to tell my mom...'Mom! remember that Jayasuriya kid?..He made it into the under-19s!..if only u had let me continue cricket....'..lolz...SN really was a hard hitter back in those days...So I was surprised to see him grafting a lot initially...even now....Its amazing how he has matured as a cricketer....As far as the personality goes.....He was just another kid back then...a well liked kid....Thats as much as I can remember...Oh one particular incident....You know how Captains get to decide who gets to bat next?..So there was this crunch match going on and SN was already out...One of our guys got out and the next guy was about to go in when SN got into the act...He insisted that I(shehwar) go into bat next and he convinced that guy who was gonna go into bat...I remember his exact words...He had said..'Ami khub bhalo moto jani sha kemon khele, Trust me!'....So here I was feeling really good about myself with the knowledge that the hottest player in our neighbourhood has so much respect in my abilities...So in I walked!...and guess what....Yup...I was out first ball..!....It was the lowest point of my cricketing life..!..lolz....and the funny part is...I wasnt even that bad a batter....But I felt so bad to let him down like that......Anywayz....enough about me...Thats pretty much it....Then my dad got posted to Comilla Cantonment in 98 and so I went to rock the Ispahani Public School & College with my talents!..lol.....Last time I met SN was probably early last year, right before our U-19 tour to England...I wished him all the luck that he so richly deserved..Thats pretty much it.....Gosh...Those were the days...Welldone Shahriar Nafees...Go make Bangladesh proud..We are right behind you...I hope I didnt bore those of you who read it......Cheers...
shwwar vai, onek valo laglo apnar likha pore.
tnx for sharing with us..