View Single Post
Old February 10, 2007, 01:04 PM
Cricket Legend

Default Tamim Iqbal a must in Akram's WC team!

Suppose Bangladesh were playing against India or Sri Lanka. Imagine the team scores over 100 runs in just 20 overs against such greats!

Akram Khan believes, it must not be just a dream. It's possible. His verdict- Shahriar Nafees must have Tamim Iqbal for the opening innings.
Tamim is the former Bangladesh skipper's nephew.

When Tamim's elder brother Nafis Iqbal had played for the national team, Akram regularly mentioned Tamim's name while chatting with journalists, saying, "The younger one is much better than Nafis".

Tamim was then just playing age group cricket. But later when Tamim got a chance to be a part of the national squad, he proved his ability as a batsman.

He is such a batsman who can launch scathing attacks against bowlers. "It's rare gift for the Bangladesh cricket," Akram says.

Akram thinks Tamim must be in the "Dream 11" in the World Cup.

"As DOHS captain this time, I got a closer view of Tamim's batting. He has a record of smashing 188 runs in the Premier League. Blind hitting does not yield such runs. It needs planning. Punishing a ball according to its merit must be there. Moreover, nobody in the team strikes as hard as him," Akram says.

Akram wants Tamim in his "Dream 11" to punish bowlers.

Akram, who played the country's first two world cups, says," You must choose the opening pair to exploit the power play option of the game."

"I must favour Tamim to open the game. If he can use his intelligence, nobody will understand how the team scores 100 runs in just 20 overs," Akram says.
Tamim has played only a few one-day matches.

Playing him in the World Cup with such a very little experience- isn't it too much risky?

Akram says, "It's not that, this year we are taking all inexperienced players like in the previous World Cup. Nafees, Aftab, Sakib, Ashraful and Mashrafe all have become experienced now playing so many matches. Moreover, Bashar, Mashud and Rafique are there. I think it's not a bad idea to include Tamim in the team for some quick runs".

Akram wants to play Khaled Mashud as wicketkeeper instead of Mushfiqur Rahim. He, like other former top players, still thinks Mashud can give his best.

Akram has his very own plan for a batting order. "I want to see Ashraful in the 4th position in the batting order. The reason behind the idea is that it will give Ashraful a chance of playing more balls. He usually maintains a minimum gap between runs and balls. Sakib has a power to strike some good boundaries. I prefer he play at number six," the former skipper says.

It's also Akram, who has a better idea than anybody else in the country about the wicket in West Indies. He has the experience of leading Bangladesh A team in Boosta Cup there.

"This time Bangladesh and other Asian teams will do well in the World Cup. West Indies' wicket is more or less similar to those in the subcontinent ".

"Rafique and Razzak are must in my 11."

"I want two pacers. I hear Shahadat is not playing well now-a-days. So I will give Tapash with Mashrafee. Tapash's experience will help a lot."

Mehrab Hossain junior gets a ticket in Akram's dream team despite his recent failures.

"We can use him in the middle order, if necessary. In case anybody fails in the middle order Tushar Imran should get the privilege".
Here's Akram's squad:

Shahriar Nafees, Mehrab Hossain, Tamim Iqbal, Aftab Ahmed, Sakib Al Hasan, Habibul Bashar, Mohammad Ashraful, Khaled Mashud, Mohammad Rafique, Abdur Razzak, Mashrafe Bin Murtaza, Shahadat Hossain, Tapash Baishya, Mohammad Sharif and Tushar Imran.

But this is his "Dream 11":
Shahriar Nafees, Tamim Iqbal, Aftab Ahmed, Mohammad Ashraful, Habibul Bashar, Sakib Al Hasan, Khaled Mashud, Mohammad Rafique, Mashrafe Bin Murtaza, Abdur Razzak and Tapash Baishya. (Following batting order).