View Single Post
Old February 16, 2007, 12:57 PM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensible
Sorry, don't agree with you. Because I don't think to solve one crisis (corruption), we should create bigger crisis (violation of civil rights, making laws that goes against the basis of a civil society, etc.)

In 1974, Sheikh Mujib govt. formed a special law to curb alleged violence, chorachalan, mojutdari etc. That special piece of law still comes back to haunt us today, in 2007. That law was "Bishesh Khomota Aain 1974".

Another example....from the US. In 2001, after 911, the US congress gave the president enormus power to fight terrorism. As a results, we now had two wars, a lot of innocent people in concentration camp-like places. Few days back, the govt. of Canada had to appologize to one of it's citizens because he was tortured......
I will not oppose your point because I know it is a valid one. However, lets not forget the very recent "Joint Forces Operation" (The one during early days of BNP's 3rd term) and RAB activities. Being a person who lives for the last 20 years in one of the most crime-infested areas of Dhaka, I can certify that the local mastani, chandabazi etc. has reduced to almost nil after the JF and RAB activities.

This time because of the people who are leading the cleansing operation, I know it will bring very good results. And I believe a term "collateral damage" is used for the innocent bystanders affected by such operation. Lets hope such collateral damage is kept at a minimum level.

With regard to your opening statement, "Civil Rights" I see this move by the govt. as a step to restore my civil right that has been violated for the last several decades by these corrupt people. And since the rules are only for the period of State of Emergency, possibility of abuse of these rules by future rulers can be eliminated. They will have to make their own laws then and (if the situation does not demand it), I will join with you in the protest.