View Single Post
Old March 23, 2007, 12:38 AM
Cricket Legend

Yeah, quiet night here in POS, Tehsin you are missed. Off and on rain aborted my attempt to get to Maracas beach, so I settled for exploring some of this city's neighborhoods and backstreets by foot. I'm glad I did.

The air is thick with anticipation for tomorrow and anything can happen. It's all upto the Lankans now. The Indian fans are pouring in, I am noticing more of them, or is it because the wild and crazy Bangladeshis have gone home?

The BD team is keeping a low profile. They did "theory and warmups" today per a random phone call one of the journalists made at breakfast. The day also included visiting schools and doing some work for the fight against AIDS.

The BD journos actually took the day off, I can tell you more about them if that is exciting but i suspect it won't be. We are in this semi-hole called Alicia's Palace (my door seems to be missing it's handle in case I haven't mentioned it before...), and the kitchen is unable to produce anything worth eating for our news guys. I was amazed to learn they have taught the kitchen ladies how to make deshi style omelettes as well as 50% of what it takes to make alur bhorta. Shudu daal missing.

Trini is a place that actually has deshi-friendly cuisine, after all the place is full of people of Indian descent. Roti paratha and doubles are exquisite, and much much better than the fake stuff you get in Ft Lauderdale or Miami. My point is if you want food, it's not hard to find, you just have to be willing to go look for it. I took in a roti wraps at Patraj for lunch today, and all the boys/girls who are still here - definitely forgo the fried chicken crap at the Oval tomorrow and head to the back of the stadium to Patraj - on the corner of Tragarette and White streets. My cabbie Mr Singh says it's one of the best in Trini, you know he can't be wrong. Doubles is much like bhel puri in a chappati, with too much sauce so it drips all over. Had one not too long ago in a local joint in St James, they seemed to show up a dozen in a paper bag at 2TT apiece, it was all wholesome and good.

The locals are torn between watching the West Indies on TV or going to the India SL game. I have a feeling they will find a way to do both. The rum shops of St James are going to be crowded tomorrow. If Sri Lanka and West Indies both win, I am told we are partying until my plane leaves at 6:45 am Sunday. Somehow I don't think my body will take that, but it's a pleasant thought nevertheless.

As our car made the left turn at Brian Lara's house across from the Savanah and began the slow wind up Lady Chancellor Road to my "Palace", two pieces of news came in on the radio. First, Jamaican police are confirming Woolmer was strangled. What the heck! The guy who cut my hair today (Avena across the street from Patraj, clean, cool and at TT30 a good deal) said the word in Jamaica is that Woolmer was in with the bookies and things had gone horribly wrong. Hopefully that is just barbershop talk and not true!

The second piece of news had my Trini hosts erupting in joy: due to the incessant rain out in Guyana, their government has asked Trinidad to be on standby for the Super 8s. Can't help but think about Sanjay and Bansuri, friends from Chicago who flew in tonight to watch India tomorrow. Later this weekend they travel on to Guyana to "follow India into the Super 8s". They will find out soon enough that not only will India not get to Guyana, but if the rain keeps up, there may be no cricket in Guyana at all! Hate to wish such misery on friends, so I hope only one part of that is true and that the rain does stop in Guyana.

Last edited by rafiq; March 23, 2007 at 01:09 AM..