View Single Post
Old April 24, 2007, 07:10 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Sakib - the real Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire_x86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabir
I agree with Miraz bhai. Actually, I think they need to draw a line. They should say that students are eligible to take part in politics only after a certain age...say 23 years. And that also must happen outside the campus.
What is the basis of defining a magic number like 23? If a citizen is entitled to vote, he is also entitled to join in politics. Adult students should have right to join in politics, just like they have right of doing other jobs apart from academic studies.

Not that I think joining politics is an ideal thing for a student to do, but the laws should be fair and logical.
Better late than never. Sorry to bring up this old thread, but I think there's been a misunderstanding here. When I said "say 23 years", it means I'm just giving an example. Yes you're right, there should be a logical number, and that's why I just gave an example. From my perspective, voting is not the same as doing other sorts of political activities. My whole family votes, but none of the members go and participate in party meetings or rallies.

What I was referring to was more related to "active" political involvement than just satisfying your democratic rights. IMO, active involvement should only be allowed when that cannot have any impact on the individuals' education. After seeing others, I can firmly say that education is the FIRST thing that gets sacrificed for active political involvement.