View Single Post
Old April 29, 2007, 04:29 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabir
Very disappointed by the poor management of ICC and the match officials. The players are playing out in the middle without knowing what they're chasing, a ground with no flood lights, umpires not sure what to do...and the list goes on.

Australia won convincingly, and congrats to them. Not taking anything away from them, I just think it would've been a much more close match if SL didn't get trapped by mother nature. As a cricinfo commentator said, there must be something fundamentally wrong with the DL method if the cup was to be decided using the method, and not using the players out in the field.

As I mentioned earlier, both Aussies and SL proved today that they deserved to play in the finals. SL's chase was excellent until Jaysuria got out...and that was the turning point. He was only trying to make sure that they don't lose due to the DL method.

I understand that the DL method is necessary in such circumstances. But really, for a world cup final, the use of this method is just a joke to say the least.

Anyway, congrats to Australia. Gilly just took the match away from SL.
D/L method might be okay for ordinary ODI's, but in the WORLD CUP FINAL surely it would be fairest to make it a condition that both sides must bat 50 overs (or until bowled out), on the same day. If rain inteferes, then cancel the game and play it again on the reserve day. I mean, what is the point of having a reserve day if it won't be used?

Sure, there are some circumstances where this might not work (ie. team A bats 50 overs and team B bats 45 overs, requiring 30 runs to win and the rain comes down), but I think in this sort of situation, common sense must prevail: Get some floodlights and come back out when it stops raining. This is what would happen at any other venue in the world.