View Single Post
Old August 5, 2007, 01:05 PM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sohel NR
I think Tamim's footwork is OK. The trouble is, his shot selection is often wild and atrocious, which makes his footwork all wrong. His technique needs more work. With his current SR under 65%, I think he's trying to deal with some of the issues, instead he should focus on rotating the strike with the rest of our "openers".

I think Tamim bats like someone who was blessed with exceptional hand-eye co-ordination and never bothered to take in the importance of moving his feet. I think he demonstrates this amply every time he takes half a step outside off-stump and flaps his bat at anything short of a length. You must ascribe this to poor shot selection but I also think he needs to get his foot closer to the ball when he goes for his drives against full length deliveries.

He'll learn to rotate the strike in time, but his technique is a worry.

The rest of your analysis is spot on and I agree with all points although I still can't get my head around why you think Mehrab and Raqib want to be test openers. Even during that last succession of A team and Academy matches Mehrab made more runs in the middle order than he did as an opener while Nirala was probably the least impressive performer out of a list of 7 or 8 when he opened the batting for the U/19s.

I've gathered that you're pretty close the cricketing community over there so I'm assuming you've heard things I haven't.