View Single Post
Old August 8, 2007, 01:16 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Sid Crosby.

Its unfortunate to see some folks pigeon holing their judgement of the post to the term 'superstar' and ignoring what is otherwise a nice piece of technical observation from Sohel NR for a potential future player. I am sure, most of the same folks have never seen him bat ( I didn't ) , but Sohel did, and wrote the piece as he saw fit with clear indication of JS's strengths and mitigating factors that may need improvement. Maybe, we should focus on that instead of needless banter associated with the term 'superstar'. It is a subjective matter and if Sohel feels like JS has what it takes to be the next 'it' backed up by stats that he has provided, I back him, not because its a nice piece, but because he is generally right when it comes to a lot of players and their cricketing abilities or faults. And by the way, he is not force feeding us with endless front page articles singing the hymns of a certain ex-captain, that are oh so boring and ends with usual unimaginative stuff like - "best captain ever" !

A star quality in a player is closely related to the entertainment value he provides for the fans as well. Lets not forget that. Tamim made a name for himself with that one innings because it captured the imagination of the public. He may not pan out to be a consistent run piler ( I hope not ) , but there is no doubting that he has star values which brings people to the field. In that regard, Ash is certainly an intl star and defintiely a Bangladeshi 'superstar' in our context, if filtered through that prism and simply because for what he brings to the table.

Maybe Sohel should have ended the title with a question mark ( ? ). For example : The next Superstar of BD cricket? But, thats up to him and I focus on the content and not the title.