View Single Post
Old October 1, 2007, 09:50 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by moshin_31
Ramadan poll: There are four schools of law in Islam in the Sunni sector, these include Hanafi, Shafi'i, Malaki and Hanabi, but all of these confuse me between thier laws and regualtions, and I cannot decide which on is really the right one, plus there is a new type of school that has been formed, called the Salafi movement, they say they follow the rules from the beggining of time.
you might want to do do a little research within this forum. there are multiple posts about islamic jurisprudence including several by myself. almost 90% of south asian muslims were born into the hanafi madhab. there is no such school as hanabi, the school you were referring to is named after ahmad bin hanbal and thus named the hanbali school. each of the school is considered to be a creed and their following is seperated into geographical areas based on historical pattens of migration and conquest. it should be stressed that each of these madhabs are simply a way of interpreting (ijtihad) the fiqh. from which shariyya derive.

salafism basically refers to a return to the basic. for the purpose of your question, it means returning to the traditions followed by the first three generation of muslims. the basic idea is that human beings are possesed with reason. so they ought to make an effort to read the quran, read about the life of the prophet and prophetic traditions, and then use his internal faculties to reason, and thereby come to a conclusion about any specifics of islamic observance. ijtihad is the common term used to define interpretation.

i'd advise you to stop focusing on the madhabs or schools of jurisprudence and focus on islam itself. the latter refers to achieving peace within oneself and within one's community. one doesn't need schools of interpretation to achieve peace.