View Single Post
Old October 29, 2007, 01:58 PM
First Class Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganguly da
Americans also know India as the trillion dollar economy and the future UN security council member and a potential superpower.

Also do not agree on the rich/poor theory especially nowadays. All that stuff used to happen during 70s, 80s, 90s. Don't know about Pak, SL or BD, but India's first poster boy...Kapil Dev, came from a rural family. India's current captain, MS Dhoni came from a lower middle class family and so did Sreesanth and others. Zaheer Khan's dad was a bus driver for the city govt. Pathan's dad is an imam in some small masjid.
I don't know in India then. But in Sri Lanka before 1996 most of the players were from Colombo. But from 1992 or so on out stationed players started to get facilities and started to come to the national team.

Sanath and Tharanga are from Matara down south. Sangakkara is from Kandy in the central and many other players. After those guys started to come out of those villages they really improved. That's a major reason why Sri Lanka has been doing well since 1996.

There's still some politics going on in Sri Lanka like Mubarak, why is he in the team? (even for TEST!!!) because Muba's Father is a very rich man who was also a classmate of Asantha De Mel (chairman of selectors)]

You said the population has nothing to do with this. But the team selection is right? Well who selects the team? Selectors. And the selectors are well some who played the game and others who know about the game( if there aren't selectors like that then you obviously have politics going on)

If those experienced selectors don't know how to choose a proper cricket team, you got problem. The problem is not that they don't know how to select but there's politics involved $$$. I'm sure there are tons of talent in India but there isn't anyone to bring them up to the 1st class level. Corruption to blame also.

PS: Seriously dude? You expect Americans to know about India's economy when some can't even point US on a map? They are Americans. No not the ones I talk to over here would know.