View Single Post
Old November 19, 2007, 04:30 PM
Cricket Legend

Sohel, I can understand a lot you wrote was deeply buried frustration bursting out ! Sadly, following Bangladesh cricket is riding an emotional roller-coaster. But we do it because that is where we are from.

Coming back to your headline player, Nazimuddin, I would not rule him out yet. In my humble opinion, I have both the opening positions at the moment vacant. In the past , as you know, I have backed JO, not because he was technically gifted or was attractive to watch but simply because amongst others he was the least likely to throw his wicket away. However, his obsession [ lack of talent - not knowing where his off-stump is ] of poking at a ball which could easily have been left alone almost makes that shot as bad as any silly shot Aftab or Ashraful would play.

Nafees at least scored a 100 against Australia. But he can hardly raise a bat now !
In my desperation I was hoping for some runs for Mushfiq so that he could open. I do not rate him at all as a wicket keeper in test matches. We could not afford a missed catch or stumping and then see the batsman score 200. However, even he is failing here. No one stands out at all.

So, I would not rule out Nazimuddin just yet. Scoring runs against mediocre bowling must surely be a precondition before scoring runs against better bowlers.