View Single Post
Old March 20, 2008, 06:21 PM
Street Cricketer

Default Under 15 International Tournament in West Indies

Good evening everyone,

I cannot find any mention on this forum of the upcoming Under 15 international tournament in the West Indies.

The details, taken from the West Indies website, are as follows:

CLICO sponsors Under-15 I'ntl tourney in April
CMC | 27/02/08

PORT OF SPAIN, Trinidad - Eight teams will contest a CLICO-sponsored international Under-15 cricket tournament in the Caribbean in April, organisers announced here this evening.

The tournament, from April 19 to May 4, will be run by All Sports Promotions, and will have eight teams competing - West Indies, Pakistan, Kenya, Zimbabwe, Ireland, Holland, Bangladesh and the International Cricket Council (ICC) Americas team, comprised of players from Bermuda, Canada, Cayman Islands and Bahamas.

Details of the event were revealed at a press conference Wednesday evening at the Banquet Hall at the Queen's Park Oval.

The tournament will have matches in Trinidad and Tobago, Grenada, Guyana, Barbados and St Kitts, and will be the first of its kind since the Costcutter Under-15 championships that was won by the West Indies in England in 2000.

All Sport director Bruce Aanensen, the former CEO of the West Indies Cricket Board (WICB) said the championships will be split into a knockout and a league stage.

I would be interested to know what the standard of the Bangladesh Under 15 team will be or indeed are there any players in particular who are likely to do well.

Undoubtedly West Indies, Pakistan and Bangladesh will be the favourites. Its interesting that Ireland have been drawn against Pakistan in the opening knock-out match, perhaps the organisers are hoping for an upset as happened in the Senior World Cup in 2007. This is unlikely though and Ireland and Holland will be travelling out of season and have not played cricket since September, apart from a few boys who played in South Africa during February

Bangladesh will play Ireland, West Indies and Kenya in the Group stages in Trinidad from Saturday 26 April until Tuesday 29 April.

What a trip for 15 year olds.