View Single Post
Old March 24, 2008, 03:57 PM
Street Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabz
It will be a hard fought battle for all the teams.
At this age group, there is hardly any difference between the test nations and the associates.

Good luck to the "Young" Cubs.
I agree that the younger the age the better chance the Associate Nations have of defeating a Test Nation however Ireland and Holland will suffer from two big disadvantages.

Firstly it is winter time in Europe, I can only speak for the Irish here but they have not played a game of cricket since September,some 6 months ago. By the time they arrive in the West Indies they will have had indoor winter nets but no warm-up matches. The Associate Nations would indeed love to go away on a two week camp and play four or five matches together before arriving in the Weat Indies. However that is simply not possible from a time and money perspective

Secondly, the expected temperature and in particular humidity of the West Indies will be a major challenge to the Irish and probably the Dutch. Our boys are not used to such weather and our Under 19's suffered badly in those conditions at the recent Under 19 World Cup.

Having said that I know the boys are eagerly looking forward to the trip and will bring with them the traditional fighting Irish spirit. About six sets of parents are also due to travel to Trinidad for the three group matches in four days.