View Single Post
Old July 23, 2004, 01:23 AM
Cricket Legend

Dear DJ:

I think you make some valid points, but in perhaps trying to make too many points you have mixed up some apples with some oranges. Some comments:

1. Most knowlegable and serious bangladeshi cricket fans would like nothing less than a proper series against kenya. I don't have a clue why there isn't one scheduled. As for being afraid to play them, I don't agree with that. They already are ahead of us in the ODI table, have a 6-1 historical advantage, so we would be the underdogs, right? However, knowing the BCB mindset, I wouldn't be surprised if they were scared of this matchup. However, I am pretty sure our team and fans are not.

2. You get better only by competing against the best not against the weak. That is the same issue Ganguly has in playing the likes of Bangladesh. That is the way it is, no matter how much you debate it.

3. I think we already play Zimbabwe a fair amount, and we have already talked about Kenya. The others - we can play them occasionally to give them experience as well as get some wins but remember that they will not count as ODIs outside of major tournaments. So for people obsessed with the win-loss stats, beating up on Hong Kong and UAE (what exactly is the difference between these 2 teams, please?) will do nothing to give us more ODI points.