View Single Post
Old July 24, 2004, 10:04 PM
First Class Cricketer

Default BANGLADESHI BATTING PSYCHOLOGY

Call these the rules or psyschology or whatever, these apply to Bangladeshi batting:

1) If the opening pair survives and scores 60 runs, the total score will be over 250.

2) If 2 top order batsmen are out within 20 runs, the whole team will collapse and will score possibly around 150 in total.

3) If the 1st wicket falls cheaply, the next 3 wickets will fall within total team score of 50 runs.

The analysis is done with years of review and research. The result? The lesson to learn?

The lesson to learn is : a LOT depends on the first 4 batsmen, especially the first 2 (I mean the opening pair).

Dav, I hope you read these, and I really hope you do, because some of these are coming from experienced and passionate Bangladeshi cricketers.

These should be our strategies:

STRATEGY NUMBER ONE: Our 2 openers should be asked to STAY THERE for at least 10 overs. That will guarantee at least 50 runs on the board. That will also guarantee a competitive game.

STRATEGY NUMBER TWO: The first 4 batsmen's objective will be to continue playing, NOT TO, and I repeat NOT TO take any risks. All they have to do is to STAY THERE, AND THAT'S IT.

There are other strategies, however, if the above 2 are implemented, we will see a major difference. Let me tell you this, if the top 4 (I mean the 4 in the top order) batsmen each play 30 balls, we should be scoring 100 runs easily from the top 4 only. And what the other batsmen will do, you can guess quite easily.....

NO PRESSURE TO SCORE RUNS, JUST STAY THERE AND CONNECT THE BALLS. THAT'S IT. IF A BALL IS RISKY TO CONNECT, LEAVE IT.

Is this too much of a difficult job for the best 4 batsmen in a country of 130 million?