View Single Post
Old June 8, 2008, 03:11 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: Ashraful, Tamim & Junaid
Default Today’s End Results

TODAY’S END RESULTS

Our objective in today’s one dayer with Pakistan was to do better and if we could draw or win that would be a bonus.

This is based on our recent performance against Pakistan in their own den where we were comprehensively whipped by them by huge margins.

So the objective that Siddons most likely set for today’s game according to his visions were improvements in some areas. No goal for a win.

In that respect we have to give to give credit to Siddons as we see 3 significant positives from today’s game.

1.Unexpected and remarkable Bowling improvements.

Mashrafe took for 2 wickets for 36 including 2 in one over.

Razzaq tool 3 wickets for 35 including 2 in 2 balls.

Alok was a class act. He scalped the crucial wickets of Salman Butt, Mohammad Yousuf and Shahid Afridi and returned with figures of 3 for 49.

2.Fightback.

When Salman Butt and Yousuf were cutting loose Alok halted this by lightning strikes taking the crucial wickets.

At one stage Pakistan score stood at 75 for 1. They slipped to 179 for 4 and finally bundled for 233.

It goes to Bangladesh Bowlers great fight back that they were able to contain Pakistan’s score to 233 in 40 overs and capture the last 6 wickets for 54 runs.

3.Fielding. I thought Bangladesh fielding was fantastic.

They looked very sharp, body language was good and tremendous stoppings and saves.

Negatives.

Batting : We all know that this Bangladesh eleven is devoid of two key and proven performers - One Sakib and the other Aftab and that we were playing with replacements Raqibul for Aftab with not much International experience and Kapali coming in place of Sakib after a long lay off.

Now who are the stroke makers of BD in this playing eleven?. Typically at the top Tamim then Ash and lower down Mashrafe who is more of a slogger.

On previous occasions either Tamim or Saqib used to play long innings while others came and gone. Riyad has recently been playing a good middle order role and stabilizing the innings.
Unfortunately in this match our batting barring Ash and Tamim fell like nine pins . So sensing an early collapse Ashraful was promoted up the order at No 3 which he normally does not play.

He must have received instructions from Siddons that his objective was to stay till 40 overs and not to accelerate to win the game as that may not allow BD to survive 40 overs and if that happened they would be under serious criticism.

However the pace at which Ash played was indeed baffling.

It is one thing to play a restrained or controlled innings. But that does not mean that in a One day match you will lower your SR to 60.21 as Ash ended in the match. This was like swallowing a bitter pill for most of us.

To make matters worse we also saw an unprecedented happening that of a Maiden last over against a semi part time bowler of the like of Younus Khan that made a mockery of a typical last over we see in a One dayer.

I am sure Siddons will talk long and hard with the guys on their dismal batting performance.

I would say Nazimuddin might come in place of Shahriyar Nafees OR Shahriyar Nafees may be retained in his usual position and bringing in Nazimuddin for Raqibul.

I am sure they will play better in terms of batting in the next game against India.

I think there is no need to panic now. Let’s look forward for the next game and hope for a better performance.

Allah Hafez.

Cheers!

Last edited by ehteshamul; June 8, 2008 at 04:54 PM..