View Single Post
Old October 13, 2008, 01:00 PM
Cricket Legend
Fantasy Winner: BD v NZ 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by al Furqaan
i must say, i have to agree with tigers eye here...at least for the most part.

you are correct, keeping RRR under control definitely improves chances of winning. there is no freaking doubt about it. however, the RRR in the match of reference was around 7.5 when things fell apart.
That's an 80% increase from initial RRR, which is HUGE. That kind of RRR means the batting was way below par for 2/3rd period of the innings. It's hard to win games with this kind of batting, even more when you're chasing. 7.5 RRR is acceptable for last 15 overs, if your initial RRR is around 6 (only 25% increase from initial RRR). It means you're batting well (Of course assuming you haven't lost 2/3rd of your batting line-up in the process), and the conditions have been good for batting throughout the match.

Quote:
that equates to 75 runs being scored in the last 10. this is something that we have done many times before, whether setting a score or chasing one. the plan hinged on ashraful sticking around till the end, which is the reason for his super-cautious batting. i must commend him for at least sticking to the gameplan. wickets weren't falling till quite late.
We did that only once when mattered (while chasing), that's in the "once in a lifetime" game by our standards.

Quote:
scoring 75 in the last 10 overs is not at all incredible. its common place. even for us. and if our plan had worked (no plan is guaranteed to work i.e you can never know beforehand if it will work or not, thats why the game is played) we all know that ash can score any amount of runs when he's in slog mode.

the plan was fine. it just wasn't executed perfectly, because there are few, if any examples of us doing this before.

ash and the others should have scored a tad bit faster than 2.5 an over for an even better plan. but even at that rate, 75 in the last 10, with a powerplay in there, is daal-bhath for even bangladesh's batting lineup. unfortunately ash got out before it could be taken.
It takes only 1 ball to get any batsman out. With a target in mind, without much confidence in the remaining batsman, it's very hard to play with the kind of freedom that is necessary to get those runs in quick time.

Quote:
i'll agree that the australia run chase was a miracle, but our whole objective is taking the miracle (winning against top sides) and making them more commonplace, isn't it? in that case, winning some games chasing 8 an over in the last 10 or 15 overs shouldn't seem like such a hopeless exercise.
No miracle was necessary in the last match, even by our standards. We made the miracle necessary.