View Single Post
Old October 21, 2008, 06:23 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by vv_sunil
i think topics like this should not come in this forum as i believe it is a negative topic and this forum is open all over in the world. such incidents happens every where, however if we give opportunity to discuss the issue wide open, then we should be prepared for some burning comments also
focusing on only the positive has its problems too. what is needed is a balance and i believe that this forum achieves that. i suspect that your concern was over a negative portrayal of islam?

personally, i have very little respect for mullahs, however, this could have happened in any school and in any part of the world where teachers are allowed to hit children. that the incident took place in an islamic school in bangladesh should not cast any shadows on islam being barbaric. it just happens that many of the modern day practitioners happen to act in such ways that intrinsically links islam to barbarism.

focusing on the positives, i should think that plenty of positives could be gained from the following -
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/history/...20081002.shtml

the above is a link to a wonderful radio programme about arabic translation of classical greek texts. what the west knows about mathematics, science and philosophy today had been preserved in arabic by the great abbasid scholars of 9th century persia.