View Single Post
Old September 19, 2004, 03:34 PM
Retired BC Admin

Default No radical Changes for NZ series - Farouque

"Mashrafee has only started light training and I'm afraid he will not have enough matches to show his fitness level before the series. I have received good reports about Talha who played in the Under-19 one-day series in England. But he is still under therapy and not capable yet of bowling for longer periods. We might consider him for the one-dayers but certainly not for the Tests," said Faruque who has just returned to Dhaka from the USA where he went on a private trip. The chief selector however said that he had followed Bangladesh's performance in the Champions Trophy on television and ruled out wholesale changes despite the debacle in England.

Bangladesh were shot out for 93 by South Africa in their first match and suffered a crushing 138-run defeat against the West Indies in their second fixture.

"It is true that we have had a forgettable time in recent months. But there is little scope for any radical changes as most cricketers are not in action in the off season. That limits our choice. Besides, conditions at home will be totally different from what the team had experienced in England. I will look for players best suited to the demands at home," said Faruque adding that he will inquire about promising left-arm spinner Abdur Razzak whose bowling action underwent a scrutiny by an ICC designated expert in England.

Daily Star >>